Get Your Feet Wet...

Welcome to my blog! Please take a couple minutes to watch this video from National Geographic on Why the Ocean Matters. You might be surprised with what you learn.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Reflection: Weeks 5-8

Over the past few weeks, a lot has been brought to my attention.  Between the eye openers, read 'n' seeds, and all of the documentaries we have viewed, I was almost on information overload.  It wasn't a bad thing, just a new one.  In finishing my book, I gained a new world view.  My book focused a lot on human connection to nature and how many of us have lost that connection.  I am starting to realize that we are all connected and that even the smallest microorganisms have a role in our environment.

One of my favorite in-class activities had to be creating the graphical header for our blogs.  I loved working with Picnik and enjoyed seeing everyone's creativity.  I am also looking forward to seeing even more creativity from my new group members in our junk projects.


 I thought the concept of junking was really cool but I wasn't so sure it was practical until I saw all of the great projects from JUNKMARKET Style.com.  I am glad to see that there is a whole community of people out there who turn junk into treasures.  It's great that you can junk just about anything.  You can make something small, such as a trinket, OR you could reuse something larger, such as furniture.  I love it!

Another final thing that really stood out to me was watching "Tapped."  Although it was one of the more recent films we viewed, it definitely had the biggest impact.  As Dr. V and many others said, it makes me feel like I don't want to touch another bottle of water EVER again.  I know that that may be unrealistic, but I definitely am committed to cutting back on bottled water.  It is something that all of us can do.

Overall, I have really just opened up my eyes to different issues and have learned that there is always more to things than what we are led to believe.  Hearing about Nestle just really threw me for a loop.  I see now that we have to look behind the curtain, if you will, and see what injustices are really going on.  In the final chapters of my book, the author talked a lot about hope and change.  I am now hopeful for change.  Change in myself, our community, our environment, and change in our world.  I hope that everyone is growing as much as I have and that we all continue to learn how to make an impact.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's JUNK!

5 comments:

  1. We have learned so much in these last few weeks and it has all been eye opening. It was interesting to see what your book was about because my book was also about the lost connection between children and nature. Isn't it sad how many of us take nature for granted? I also agree with you about the movie "Tapped". I never want to drink out of a plastic bottle again. It would be cool to see if our whole class could stop using plastic bottles because it would make a world of a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved using picnik to design our headers. It was cool to see everyone's creative side! Also, it would definitely be a challenge, but I think I'd like to cut plastic bottles out of my life too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think it's going to be really fun to check out everyone's upcoming junk projects! It'll definitely be a cool change, and I'm glad we got to check out the junkmarketstyle website to get some inspiration and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen, I can agree with you that we've been on information overload with a lot of this information that we've been given but I have to admit I'm glad we've been opened up to it because I had no idea on some the aspects that we've covered in class whether it was the Tapped video and water bottles, the cosmetic database, or the food industry; it's all been very beneficial information in my opinion as I'm sure it is with you as well and I hope to learn more valuable information in the weeks ahead. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen, I totally agree with you about everything we've been learning about, so awesome! Tapped was SO good! I had no idea that water companies could just go harvest water from lakes around the U.S! I also really enjoyed learning about how to make new projects from the junkmarket style website!

    ReplyDelete