Get Your Feet Wet...

Welcome to my blog! Please take a couple minutes to watch this video from National Geographic on Why the Ocean Matters. You might be surprised with what you learn.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Reflection: Weeks 13-15 & Overall Course

Junk Project - Door Turned Cork/Memory Board


Weeks 13-15

I can't believe the semester is over!  As I said in the last reflection, the time really has flown by.  Over the last couple weeks, our main focus was on finishing up our advocacy projects and our junk projects.  Advocacy was a totally new concept to me when we started this class.  Sure, I knew about it, but I did not really do that much of it.  After completing our advocacy projects, I see just how important it is to actively promote the profession and any issues you are passionate about.

Don't Hate, Advocate!

My advocacy project was about cleaner alternative fuels and our nation's air quality.  After doing my research, it was clear that our air quality is the culprit of many health concerns nationally.  It was fun to read everyone's letters and to write my own.  It made me feel a lot better having the guidance on how to write a political representative.  My favorite part of the advocacy project was definitely the online learning activities.  What a great way to learn about a topic!  I enjoyed completing this activities and learned some great facts along the way.

Whatchya Gonna Do With All That JUNK?!?

Finally, I want to discuss my FAVORITE activity of the semester which was junking!  It was great to see everyone's creativity shine in the show and tell on Monday.  It was fun to create usable art with my cork board and know that I was recycling a door that literally one step away from being thrown out.  Crazy.  In sticking with the junk theme, I was thrilled to have the opportunity to visit the local Goodwill and see what they are all about.  It was so great to hear that there are still people trying to do good in this world that is so obsessed with making economic gains.



SO, what are you going to do with all your junk?

Overall Course Reflection

As a few of our classmates said in class on Monday, what didn't we learn in this class?  Blogging alone could have been a course for me.  I really grew in this class and was able to fine tune some skills that I already had but also learn a bunch of brand new skills.  I enjoyed the Read 'n' Seeds because they allowed us all to read about topics that interested us and then practice educating others about it.  It was great to follow everyone's books.  

We covered various other topics including junking, advocacy, SMART goals, documentaries, and more.  Another favorite of mine was seeing everyone's Share & Voices.  It was great to have creative reign on those posts and show topics that interested us most.  We definitely ended with my favorite which was junking projects.  As stated above, I LOVED doing this project.  It was great to learn from all of you over the course of the semester.  Good luck in all you do!


2 comments:

  1. You junking project was so creative! Who knew you could find something in the basement of UMD? I think everyone in our class agrees with the question, what didn't we learn this semester? Many topics covered in this class were either new to us or we had only skimmed the surface of them. Blogging made this class even better. Being able to read others' opinions, thoughts, and ideas alone gave us tons of information. It also gave us the opportunity to meet new friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From your advocacy, I do agree that "air quality is the culprit of many health concerns nationally". It's good to learn about it and hear about all the concerns that everyone has about it. That is also a good video that you shared for this theme. I just want to point out that the media has the biggest influence on ways consumers buy things. Something as simple as a video if a big enough influence to make people go buy things they will throw out 6 months later.

    ReplyDelete