Get Your Feet Wet...

Welcome to my blog! Please take a couple minutes to watch this video from National Geographic on Why the Ocean Matters. You might be surprised with what you learn.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Eye Opener: CSPI

I participated in the "Score Your Diet" activity.  I scored a great big "Uh-oh" on this assessment with an overall score of -10.  I did well in some categories, but poor in others.  Here is a breakdown of the categories:

                  HEALTH SCORE:                               31
                  ENVIRONMENTAL SCORE:            -24
                  ANIMAL WELFARE SCORE:           -17

  • I scored the highest on fruits with a 25, and vegetables with a score of 11.  For fruits, the recommended serving was 7 per week, but I am at about 9 servings per week.  For vegetables, 15 servings per week were recommended and I only eat about 4 in a week.  This was very interesting to me.  Even though I got less than half of the recommended servings of vegetables, it was still one of my top two scores.  
  • I scored the lowest on cheese.  It is recommended that you eat 4oz per week, but I recorded about 6oz per week.  I ended up scoring a -33 for cheese.  I did however make up 9 points because I usually eat cheese that is low in fat.  This still did not offset the negative number by much.  
  • I needed the most improvement in the "Environmental" category.  I think a lot of this has to do with my cheese and overall dairy consumption.  I think, realistically, that I could consume less dairy in my life because I do eat quite a bit of it.  I would not necessarily cut dairy out of my diet, but I could definitely cut back.  
I never really understood how much impact my diet had on the environment and animal welfare.  This activity really broke it down for me.  I did an alright job with my diet but there is always room for improvement.  A great goal for me is to get out of the "Uh-oh" zone.  I need to put in more effort into mindful eating.  

6 comments:

  1. I think that is a great goal to set for yourself. I think we all could use a little improvement. I also liked the way you highlighted your blog. It was easy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just by adding more fruits and vegetables to your diet can do so much for your health and the environment. This was a good exercise and I think it's great that you are setting a goal to get out of the "Uh-oh" zone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also took this quiz and I thought it was great at pointing out areas for potential improvement. I think your plan of cutting down instead of cutting out sounds great, and it will definitely make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cheese as well, I think it is part of being from the Midwest. It is great that you set a goal for yourself and are willing to make a change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like most people needed to improve the most in the environmental category. I like your idea of cutting back and not cutting out; it just seems more realistic and attainable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we all need to take a look at our meet and dairy consumptions. I was right there along with you being surprised at how much that contributes to environmental and animal welfare!

    ReplyDelete