Get Your Feet Wet...

Welcome to my blog! Please take a couple minutes to watch this video from National Geographic on Why the Ocean Matters. You might be surprised with what you learn.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Reflection: Weeks 1-4

Challenging the Way I Think

Prior to this class, I had never really though too much about the environment or environmental health.  I was not too conscious about the impact I was making or the impact that I could make.  I have really been challenged in this class to look within and think globally.  Before this class, I would say I practiced a lifestyle that is unofficially referred to as "congreenience."  That is, been green only when it is convenient.  Sure, I would recycle plastic bottles, IF there was a recycling bin close by.  Now, I have acknowledged how to make a difference and have a different view of the world around me.  I also realize that there are many more aspects to becoming "green" besides just recycling.  It is all connected.

Over the past four weeks, we have covered topics including how to create a blog and the many aspects of a blog, our ecological footprint, the Balgey Outdoor classroom, some little steps that we can take to make a big difference, and more.  One significant thing that I learned about myself was how lazy I tend to be when it comes to the environment.  But I have also learned how much potential I have as an individual and that gives me hope.  The star wars activity really impacted me because I learn kinesthetically.  It put a lot of topics into perspective for me and I was able to physically see how our environment is shrinking, and that we can come up with new and creative solutions to use what we have in a more resourceful way.  Blogging is another tool that I have used only on a rare occasion.  I think this is a great way to share our thoughts on certain topics and to provide and receive feedback on our posts.  This is a unique way to learn, and it enhances the learning process.

Overall, I have a long way to go in terms of thinking and going "green."  I am just starting to begin the entire process and am learning a lot along the way.  I love that I am able to give my family members the URL to my blog so that they can share in the experience if they choose.  Every week I discover something new that I am able to pass along to them!  I hope to continue this process as we learn more about advocating for health and how we can make a difference.  This is a growing process for me and I look forward to what lies ahead in this class.

5 comments:

  1. I love the term "congreenience" and I've realized I've been guilty of this as well. I'm glad this class is helping us all draw attention to our not-so-eco-friendly habits. It's really great to hear how passionate you are about learning more and making little changes to make a big impact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that blogging enhances the learning process. It's a great way for us to share our thoughts and ideas and give each other positive feedback on our findings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that we learn just as much outside class as in class because of blogging. I've learned so much from other people's posts. I've never heard the term "congreenience" before, but I too have been guilty of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that blogging has taught me a lot too. Other people's share and voices have brought up so many topics that I've never heard of before. I'm considering sharing my URL with my family also to hopefully have some influence on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that blogging has taught me alot throughout these first few weeks, especially because you have to make time outside of class for it. I never thought I would be a blogger, but here I am!

    ReplyDelete