Get Your Feet Wet...

Welcome to my blog! Please take a couple minutes to watch this video from National Geographic on Why the Ocean Matters. You might be surprised with what you learn.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Share & Voice: Miniature Earth

(Taken from the miniature earth website)

This is a video called Miniature Earth that I watched for a class last year.  I think it relates to what we are currently talking about in class.  This video shrinks the earth down to a population of 100 people and shows different statistics on a variety of topics.  When you watch the video, think about the Star Wars activity we did in class and think of the people who ended up not fitting into the square at first because the people in the middle (including myself) were just focused on themselves.  In the context of this video, see which statistics you would be on the inside of the square for, and which ones would place you on the outside.  

For example, when it says "18 live with an improved water source," I would be on the inside.  When you watch, think about what you are doing or could be doing to help the people on the outside.  Which number stood out to you the most?  Which number do you think we as a population could change by making a daily effort?  Which numbers do you feel are out of your control?  What was your overall reaction to/impression of the video?  

I hope you are able to take something from this video as we continue to learn.  It is not meant to put down anyone's lifestyle, but merely to put things into perspective.  Thanks for watching!

6 comments:

  1. This is a cool video that has a great impact on the way I look at things. It didn't occur to me that by having a bed to sleep in with a roof over my head, that I was richer than 75% of the entire population. It makes me appreciate what I have. One thing that I can think of to change some of these statistics would be to donate to charities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 43 live without basic sanitation statistic is so crazy to me. It is unreal the things we as Americans take for granted. Thank you for sharing this video!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this video!!!! I've actually seen it before but I was so shocked by it! Actually, this last week when I hosted a session at the St. Louis County Health and Human Service Conference a professor from St. Scholastica does a really similar interactive project. He puts people into small groups around world maps and lets them try to figure out how the population of the world is disbursed, where the most poverty is, where the most houses are, etc. It's absolutely mind blowing! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This video is such a great way to open your eyes and see the big picture. We really do take our fortunes and easy living for granted. I feel that our country as a whole needs to disburse our money more wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This video really puts things into perspective. The 43 who live without basic sanitation was shocking. I like to think that we could change the number of people without basic sanitation or those malnourished but I don't know how long that would take. I love that this video makes you remember everything you should be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing this video! I'd never seen it before and I really liked it. I'm definitely reminded of what a fortunate life I am living. This really helped put things in perspective for me, and helped me appreciate how lucky I am.

    ReplyDelete