Get Your Feet Wet...

Welcome to my blog! Please take a couple minutes to watch this video from National Geographic on Why the Ocean Matters. You might be surprised with what you learn.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Read 'n' Seed 2: First Quarter of "The Fate of Nature"

For the first Read 'n' Seed, I completed Part I and Part II of "The Fate of Nature" by Charles Wohlforth.  This ended up being 13 chapters and 116 pages.  The first part mainly discusses some history of Alaska and attempts to define humans and human nature.  In the first seven chapters, Wohlforth challenges the reader to really think about themselves and think about past events that have lead us to where we are today in terms of our relationship with the earth.  In Part II, he moves on to discuss the Enlightenment period in Alaska and influences of that time.  He tells the story of Captain Cook discovering Alaska and ends with a preview discussion based on conservation.  The next part of the book will go in depth about how conservation started and why we should care.  All of this is a philosophical way to look at how we treated the earth in the past, and the implications for the future.

While I was reading, I found myself thinking in a metaphysical way.  Wohlforth almost drew it right out of me.  What is reality?  How do we know?  What is human nature?  In the beginning, one topic that stood out to me the most was the Chugach people the inhabited Prince William Sound.   They believed in the spirit and connection of everything in life.  As we might walk over the grass and rocks as if they are nothing, the Chugach people see each blade of grass and each pebble to have a life, a meaning, a purpose, and a connection to us.  Even driftwood was viewed as a gift from a higher power because it could be reused in a new way.  This mindset really stood out to me in Wohlforth's illustration because I wanted to know how we grew so far away from that school of thought.  I began to realize why this book is important to read and how I could learn from it.

Wohlforth writes about cultures such as the Chugach people so that we can learn from their history.  He stresses that we need to look into our past as a nation and an environment if we want to move forward.  I have only skimmed the surface so far in the text, but I see where he is going with it.  We cannot just be selfish and pretend that what we do does not impact the world around us.  Wohlforth talks about people being blind and living in a state of their own "blindness."  We are all blind to certain things, simply because we do not know or have not discovered them yet.  However, we have evidence and proof of how the environment is crumbling because of our every day actions.  How can we be so blind to something that we have seen?  Because it is easier to be blind than to open our eyes and make a difference.  This is such a simple concept, and yet, it is so essential for us to understand, especially in the context of this class.  We must take the blinders off to look into the past and the future and understand that we are connect and we do make a difference.

I am excited to see where Wholforth take me in the following chapters.  I know it seems a little bit like rambling and is more philosophical than factual, but that is his style when he writes.  I hope you all can follow what I said and pull out the main message.

6 comments:

  1. You are so right when you say it is easier to be blind than to open our eyes and make a difference. In addition to this, I think we are not only blind but lazy. Afterall, we may be able to see that we need to make changes in this world, but that would require some effort. According to the book that I am reading, we are full of lazy people in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really interesting to think how we could have lost the mindset about caring for everything nature related. I believe that we are very selfish but I also think that we are also ignorant. People don't think about the impact they make because they either don't care or they don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book seems to carry a very unique outlook on life, this is an outlook that I feel goes far unnoticed by millions upon millions of people daily. I am very excited to read your future posts and to follow this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a cool way of thinking of things! That every little piece of our Earth is a living, meaningful little structure. And in a way it really is, every species of plant and animal, EVERYTHING makes a difference on this Earth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think it is interesting that we are so dismissive of seemingly meaningless things on this earth like some rocks. I think what we all forget is the that the beautiful soft sand we walk on is pretty much made up of tiny versions of the rocks are so dismissive of. Everything around us does matter and has a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked reading about the Chugach people and their way of viewing things. The idea that everything on earth is connected and important is something I think we continue to revisit in this class, and it's obvious that this mindset could really benefit our society today. I think there's great practical applications for the author's philosophical "ramblings" and I'm excited to hear more.

    ReplyDelete