Get Your Feet Wet...

Welcome to my blog! Please take a couple minutes to watch this video from National Geographic on Why the Ocean Matters. You might be surprised with what you learn.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Share & Voice: Breathe Free Dilemma

Taken from the UMD website
What is your opinion?

Most of us are aware of the Breathe Free Policy at UMD that states, "Smoking is prohibited on all UMD property.  The smoking ban includes indoor facilities and the campus grounds, as well as all University vehicles."  Now, as a member of the Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC), I have seen first hand the controversies surrounding this policy.  Even though we are a smoke free campus, there are still people who choose to smoke on campus grounds.  This however, is not what I would like your opinion on.  

Since we are smoke free, we no longer have receptacles for cigarette butts.  This is an effort to put an end to smoking on campus.  But, as smoking continues, what do people who smoke do with the butts?  Most of the time, the cigarette butts end up scattered on the ground.  One of the goals of the policy is to remain environmentally responsible as a campus and as a community.  So, what is the solution?  Is there a solution?  I want to hear what you think about the environmental aspect of the policy.  

More information about the policy can be found at the BreatheFree webpage.  

5 comments:

  1. Personally, I feel that people continue to smoke because they know there aren't any consequences for doing it. I hate having to walk through smokers but I also hate seeing all the butts on the ground. It's gross. If the policy isn't going to be enforced then they should put receptors out so that at least the ground isn't littered with butts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've thought about this issue a lot! It really bugs me that our campus has cigarette butts strewn around entry ways etc. I think it could be beneficial to put containers out to hold the cigarette butts, but that could be seen as enforcing the smoking behavior. I'm unsure as to whether there is a win-win solution to this environmental problem, but I think containers are a wise idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though we are smoke free, people continue to smoke. I know this is frustrating to all of us non-smokers, but the reality is that they are going to do it anyway. I think we should still put receptacles out so that the butts are disposed of properly instead of thrown on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that people one campus will continue to smoke until there is a serious consequence such as a ticket, much like those dreaded parking tickets we all hate. Until something like that is enforced, putting a bin somewhere possibly a little further from the door would be the best solution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the previous comments, I think people will only change their behavior if there is some sort of repercussion for their actions. It is annoying for everyone to have to walk past these people smoking right underneath the "Breathe Free" signs.

    ReplyDelete