Get Your Feet Wet...

Welcome to my blog! Please take a couple minutes to watch this video from National Geographic on Why the Ocean Matters. You might be surprised with what you learn.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 2: Weekly Update

My SMART goal :
       I will ride the bus to and from school 3 days (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) each week.



The Wheels on the Bus go 'Round and 'Round...

I actually ended up doing pretty well in my lifestyle change.  Last week, I rode the bus on Wednesday and Thursday both to and from school.  This week, I took the bus to school on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.  However, the way back was interesting.  On Monday, I did ride the DTA bus back to my apartment.  On Tuesday, I ended up getting a ride home from a friend because I was too impatient to wait 40 minutes for the bus.  Today, I ended up taking the Boulder Ridge Shuttle back to my apartment which in my mind still counts.  Right?  The shuttle is basically like a bus, but it is only for residents of Boulder Ridge/Campus Park.

Challenges and Successes 

My main challenge in obtaining my goal was figuring out the schedule of the buses, and then making it to the bus stop on time.  I seemed to have no trouble in the morning, but at the end of my school day, I did not always have time to sprint to the Kirby Bus Hub.  One strategy that was helpful in my process was meeting other people who ride the bus and talking to them about what they like about it and how early you should get to the bus stop after class.  Most UMD students told me that it was a sprint most days, but it was definitely worth it.  I also found that by printing off the schedule, I felt more control over the timing of everything.

Another challenge that I mentioned earlier was my patience.  Sometimes, I need to talk to my professors after class or stop by someone's office, so I am unable to catch the hourly bus.  This means that I would have to wait almost another hour before hopping on the next bus.  I decided to bring something with me to read in case situations like that come up, or just do my homework at the Food Court for a while.  This is fine on most days, unless I have to work at night.

Let's Talk About Feelings

I generally had positive feelings about the whole process.  What better time to start riding the bus than in the winter?  I got almost a sick pleasure watching other residents of my apartment freeze in frustration as they scraped their cars in the mornings.  I LOVE that I can just walk outside and hop on the nice, warm bus.  I did get a little anxious when it came time to catch the bus at the end of the day, but it all seemed to work out.  As I become more familiar with the system, I think my anxiety about missing the bus will decrease.

What I Learned and the Homeless Man on the Bus

This week I learned that being environmentally friendly doesn't have to cost you, and it can actually benefit you in more ways than you think.  While reducing my carbon footprint, I have many luxuries because of public transportation.  I do not have to start/scrape my car, I don't have to worry about finding a parking space, and I don't have to deal with driving on the icy roads.  Can you say BONUS?!?

I also learned that there are some kind of goofy stereotypes about public transportation.  During this process, part of my change was telling others about my SMART goal.  When I did, I got some crazy responses...

     "Ew.  That's SO dirty.  Why would you ever go on there with such sketchy people?"
     "Did you get in a car accident?!?!  Buses are gross"
     "Do you see a lot of poor people?"  ( <-----wtf? )

These are the three most shocking responses.  I feel like a lot of people think public transportation and instantly picture a dirty bus with a crazy drunk homeless person on it that wants to bite your ear off.  I mean, come on people!  The bus is actually very clean and the people aren't "sketchy."  I don't know where these comments/assumptions come from but they are so far off base.

Future Plans

My plans for next week are to keep it pretty simple and keep my goal the same.  I would like to include the shuttle as part of the "bus" part of my goal since it is still achieving the same goal.  I think that I could maybe push it to 4 days, but I am still not comfortable riding the bus on days that I need to get to work right after class.  So, I will say 4 days of the week (include Thursday) unless I happen to get scheduled on a Thursday (I realize that this is not really that specific but my schedule is all over the place).  Wish me luck!

Blogged for the Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 2 hosted by  Amy@ Amy in the Rain

5 comments:

  1. I tend to hear a lot of crazy stereotypes about the bus too! It is awesome to hear that you did so well with your goal. I must admit, I am one of those impatient people who could never wait for the bus to come. Good thing I live like 4 blocks away and can walk to school (not as luxurious as it seems). Good work this week =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to ride the bus a lot more when I did not have a parking pass but since I did spend around 140 dollars for a pass I am going to use it. Taking the bus is definitely not as bad as people think. One of the first things my mom and dad said were what why are you riding the bus and do you need money for a parking pass because of how they had perceived the bus. When you actually ride the bus it is mostly college kids on it except for the few local residents. One problem I faced with the bus is many of my classes either get out later or earlier or I have other errands to do so the bus times become inconvenient. I would like to start car pooling with people as a way to help the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, it sounds like your SMART goal is going very well to kick things off. Like you I think figuring out the bus schedules would be the toughest aspect on riding the bus on a daily basis. My g/f rides the bus a lot and it looks hard to decipher the actual route times and pick up spots. I have however rode the bus many times and it's no where near the scary experience some people make it out to be. It's pretty sad that some people's perceptions are the way you stated above when in fact in most cases it's just people like us trying to get to their destinations. I continue to wish you good luck on your goal change and it seems like you have a pretty good grasp on it. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear your SMART goal is going well, Kristen. The bus isn't so bad at all! I've actually been riding the bus all over Duluth for about 3 years now, and I really like it. I was nervous at first too, but now it's just a part of my routine. I'm glad you're learning that the stereotypes about bus riding are mostly untrue- I've actually noticed it's mostly UMD students that ride the bus. I hope bus riding goes well for you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen, the shuttle bus TOTALLY counts as a bus! :) You are doing so well! I also think it's okay to carpool with residents in your apartment building if they're heading that way anyway! Also, can I just say bravo to you, Miss Kristen? Way to go on addressing these stereotypes about people that ride the bus! My grandparents (who live in St. Paul) are shocked I take the bus everyday. They have the notion that it's some horrible situation where there is a gun in my face, disease on the handles and pee on the seats. I just have to giggle because the busses I ride are predominantly UMD students are probably less "sketchy" than I am. ;) Awesome post, GREAT job on your goal!!

    ReplyDelete