Get Your Feet Wet...

Welcome to my blog! Please take a couple minutes to watch this video from National Geographic on Why the Ocean Matters. You might be surprised with what you learn.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 4: Weekly Update



My SMART goal:  I will drink one bottled beverage per week.

I faced a lot of challenges with this goal because it is a habit of mine to go to the school store and buy a bottled beverage.  I do not drink too much water and I am all about flavor and carbonation.  This was a downfall.  I found myself thirsty and I would walk into the store pick up the drink and only THEN did I realize that I needed to put it back.   I guess I did not realize it was such a habit of mine until now.  I did drink 2 bottled beverages this week.  One was at Thanksgiving, my family had bottles of pop and I just couldn't resist.  Another one was at a sporting event I went to and I bought a bottle of Gatorade.  I realized that I don't have as much willpower as I thought.  HOWEVER, I did find that my success came when I made some yummy iced tea at my apartment and brought it in my stainless steel water bottle.  This helped tremendously because I was able to comply with my goal without compromising the flavor.  (Not that there is anything wrong with some good old H2O).  One strategy that helped me was involving my family and friends by urging them to do the goal with me.  It always helps to do it with a partner.

I felt really guilty when I did have my two bottled beverages.  I felt like the class would be disappointed that I caved to my own desire for some pop.  I felt much better when I started to use my new water bottle more and fill it with yummy juice.  I felt even better when I realized how much CA$H I was saving each day.  Those bottled beverages sure do add up.  

I learned that it takes more will power to succeed than I thought.  I also learned more about myself in that, I had a bad habit that I hadn't even acknowledged before.


I plan to keep my goal the same for next week and I WILL meet it.  Good luck everyone!








Blogged for the Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 4 hosted by Amy@Amy in the Rain.

5 comments:

  1. Kristen... I am so disappointed in you.. JK! You're doing an awesome job so far! It's totally hard to comply with goals especially when they're brand new! I try to buy those packs of flavored drink mixes and stuff them in my backpack for times when regular water isn't enough. In the long run it's way cheaper for your wallet, better for the environment and more convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Carly, those drink packets are fabulous! I know that water gets boring sometimes (okay it's boring all of the time) and these packets are a great way to jazz it up! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so much easier when you have family and friends helping you out. I agree with you on the use of bottles. I never realized how many bottles I truly used until I really started to pay attention. They are just so convenient but as you mentioned above if you were to purchase your own bottle you would be saving money and being eco-friendly. Do not get too down on yourself...Thanksgiving was challenging for many people to stick to their goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen we wont be disappointed if you slip up, we only celebrate when you stay with your goal. It's hard enough disappointing yourself so try not to worry about what the class will think or say! I have another suggestion too about jazzing up water because I don't like drinking plain water either; I always add a cap full of either lime or lemon juice to my water bottle (it tastes great and helps you to not feel so bloated since citrus is a diuretic... just saying)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen, I have nearly the same exact goal as you do right now and it was very hard to get used to at first but after a while it becomes second nature. The water bottle is a great idea and that's what I've been doing now as well. Also Katie mentioned to me a few weeks ago that you can buy Gatorade and Vitamin Water in packet form so you don't have to drink from the plastic bottles. Molly is right we won't be disappointed that you slipped a bit because some of us have slipped as well. Keep up the good work. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete