Get Your Feet Wet...

Welcome to my blog! Please take a couple minutes to watch this video from National Geographic on Why the Ocean Matters. You might be surprised with what you learn.

Monday, November 29, 2010

Eye Opener: Photo Essay

Hidden Treasures

Over Thanksgiving, I was fortunate enough to spend ample time with my crazy, yet adorable family.  I had been thinking about my photo essay over turkey dinner at my grandpa's house when I realized that I was standing on top of a junker's gold mine!  I guess you could say that my grandpa would qualify as a "hoarder."  My family and I dread the day when we have to clean out his house.

However, I decided to take a trip to the basement where years and years of junk has piled up collecting dust.  I found some pretty cool hidden treasures that could be used in many different ways.  I realized that I did not have to go to a thrift store to find my junk because it was right in front of me.  I wanted to take some of this stuff and junk it, but when I came up from the basement, my grandpa was not too happy.  What I saw as an opportunity to reuse old cool junk, he saw as me taking away some of his "treasures," even though he hadn't touched some of them for years!  So, with a little convincing and an extra big smile, I will try to persuade my grandpa into letting me use some of these hidden treasures...


A room made for a treasure hunt. 
Percolator 
Tea Kettle
One of my favorites, broken but still beautiful.  

Glass milk bottles from Bridgeman's
Old School 7up Bottles
"Hey, hey hey!"  It's a Fat Albert lunch box!
My grandma's old clock.  
Bunkbed ladder, great for some throwback shelving, eh?

Besides finding all of these cool things, I had a fun time taking a trip down memory lane.  Of course I stumbled onto some old photo albums, cards, and toys that I played with as a child.  Some of them have more value to me than anyone else in the world.  What ways would you use some of this JUNK?  Next time you take a trip home, take an hour or two to go through basements, closets, and attics.  You might be surprised at what hidden treasures you find and have a great time along the way.  



4 comments:

  1. Wow. Who would've thought that your Gpa had so much stuff! I really liked looking at your pictures of antique things that you found. I think the 7up bottles are my favorite. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your presentation really stuck out to me because it was so interesting! Don't you just love grandparents? I swear they keep everything but I cannot talk because I know I will be the same. You want things to remind you of the "good old days"! Hopefully he will change his mind and let you take a few things to make a junking project. You could even make him one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, very cool photo essay! There appears to be a lot of interesting things at your grandpas house and hopefully he lets you use some of them. I was looking through your pictures and noticed the old percolator you have posted on here. I'm making a comment about it because we actually have a similar one that we use at our hunting shack during deer season. You definitely have some good items to choose from for our junking project that is if your grandpa lets you take anything. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen, I love your photo essay! Great finds in your kooky grandpa's house! Grandparents, parents, and aunts uncle's basements are the best places to find hidden treasures, and typically they're dying to give their old "junk" away!

    ReplyDelete